Action Alert! Call California Senators and House Representatives for Federal Climate Action
Right now, we have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to advocate for huge increases in federal funding for climate solutions in agriculture. If you only have 5 minutes this week to raise your voice in support of a healthy, just and climate-resilient agriculture, this is the action to take!
Congress is writing a $3.5 trillion climate and infrastructure bill, which they hope to pass using the budget reconciliation process later this month. It will include $135 billion in increases to the country’s agriculture conservation programs over a 10-year period. This would increase spending on grants programs for farmers and ranchers using practices that store carbon in soil and reduce greenhouse gases, organic and sustainable agriculture research, and on-farm renewable energy.
Will you call your legislators today?
Our representatives need to hear from us: urge them to stand strong and invest in real solutions to the climate crisis that work for farmers and support farmers of color and others who have been left out of past farm programs?
Making a call is easy! Here’s how:
- Make calls to our two senators and your House of Representatives member, we’ve got the phone numbers for you here:
- Look up the number of your House Representative here or call the U.S. Capitol switchboard and ask to be connected: (202) 224-3121
- Senator Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841
- Senator Alex Padilla: (202) 224-3553
- Leave a message for your lawmaker that goes something like this:
Hello, my name is ____ and I’m a ____ [farmer, parent, concerned citizen…] in the district. I’m calling about the budget reconciliation package. It’s critical that agriculture funding in this milestone bill helps farmers address climate change and adapt to its impacts. There are three specific investments I hope you will prioritize:
– $30 billion for climate-friendly agriculture and working lands conservation programs
– $5 billion for climate-resiliency-focused sustainable and organic agriculture research
– $3 billion for value-added agriculture, on-farm renewable energy, and livestock processing
Thank you for your time!
Can’t make a phone call? Click here to send a quick email using a service provided by our friends at the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition.