NOTE: THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER OPEN
Our next employment opportunity will be a 4-month Policy Internship. Please check back in early Nov.
Job Announcement: Communications & Operations Coordinator
CalCAN is a statewide coalition that advances policy reform to realize the powerful climate solutions of sustainable and organic agriculture. Since 2009, we have cultivated farmer leadership to face the challenges of climate change and to serve as the sustainable agriculture voice on climate change policy in California. Our work, in collaboration with coalition partners and allies, has contributed to the adoption of multiple state climate-smart agriculture programs, farmland conservation policy, and on-farm renewable energy advancements.
CalCAN currently has five full-time staff and a wide network of partners and advisors across the state. For more information on CalCAN’s work, see www.calclimateag.org.
The Communications & Operations Coordinator facilitates CalCAN’s use of social media, traditional media, digital communications, publications, website and blogs, and events to communicate to our policymakers and our network of partners and funders. The Coordinator also assists the Executive Director with grantwriting, administration and internal communications. The ideal candidate is committed to sustainable agriculture and is eager to learn, adapt and grow with CalCAN’s changing strategies, priorities and needs. The Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all members of the CalCAN team in advancing our policy goals. We are a small but effective team, looking for someone who likes wearing many hats and wants to learn the ropes of non-profit communications, administration and grantwriting.
The Coordinator will work in collaboration with CalCAN’s policy team and under the supervision of the Executive Director in the following areas:
- Communications — Coordinate, maintain and continually improve all online communications tools (website, electronic newsletter, Mail Chimp, blogs); Coordinate production of policy reports, fact sheets and white papers; Manage contacts databases for CalCAN network members and media; Manage social media and generate content aligned with policy objectives; Collaborate with the CalCAN policy team to identify specific communications goals and develop plans and strategies to reach them; Produce communications plans, evaluate and continually improve their implementation
- Grantwriting and reporting — Support the Executive Director with grant proposal and report writing, tracking organizational accomplishments, and foundation database management
- Events coordination — Manage the planning, registration, promotion and logistics for CalCAN’s biennial Climate and Agriculture Summit; Provide logistical support for annual lobby days, farm tours and other events as needed
- Administration — Provide technological and administrative support as needed
Eligible applicants must possess the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with sustainable agriculture and/or climate change
- Minimum of two years professional experience in any of the following areas: non-profit administration; event management; communications; media
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Facility with a variety of applications and tools such as Google Apps, Microsoft Office, Twitter, MailChimp, WordPress, graphics design programs, etc.
- Self-directed, entrepreneurial and collaborative work style
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with strong project management skills and the ability to stay on deadline while managing multiple projects
This is a full-time salaried position that offers a salary ranging from $55,000 to $65,000, commensurate with experience, plus benefits. The position is based in Sebastopol, CA.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references. Note that no references will be contacted without first notifying you after the second interview. Please also include a writing sample (maximum 3-4 pages) — fact sheets, blogs, newsletters, white papers, grant reports or anything else that illustrates your ability to communicate in a compelling and accessible way (please no academic papers). Email your application to email@example.com in a single PDF attachment, addressed to Executive Director Renata Brillinger. The position will be open until filled. No phone calls please.
Note: CalCAN is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically under-represented. CalCAN makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.